Brian Schuab (Trinity) had Vermont’s only hit of the game with a leadoff single in the fourth, but after the Lake Monsters loaded the bases with a pair of one-out walks,Tyler Favretto (Crowder) grounded into an inning-ending double play for the first of 16 straight Vermont batters retired to end the game.
Vermont starter Sean Matson (Harvard) had a throwing error on a bunt attempt in the second inning that scored the Silver Knights first run and was also charged with an unearned run in the third. Matson finished with the two unearned runs on six hits with no walks and seven strikeouts over 6.2 innings in the loss.
Sean Matson 6.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
* With the 7 strikeouts and 0 walks allowed, Matson now has a league-best 53 strikeouts vs. just 3 walks over 33.2 innings and lowered his ERA to 1.60 overall
* Tommy Martin (Yale) made his Lake Monsters debut at shortstop, going 0-for-3 (he replaces Harvard’s George Cooper who has left the team )
* Will Parkinson (Columbia) walked 1 and struckout 4 in 1 1/3 hitless innings of relief
* The 1 hit is the fewest by the Lake Monsters in their 2 years in the FCBL, while the fewest hits for a Vermont team since being no-hit August 12, 2019 at Centennial by the Aberdeen Ironbirds in NYPL game
Beyond The Boxscore
* Vermont is 3-5 in last 8 games after winning 7 straight and 23 of previous 25 games
* Lake Monsters are still franchise-best 26-10 after 36 games (previous best was 23-13 in 2010)
* 2nd shutout loss of the season for Vermont (1-0 loss June 28th at Pittsfield)
Next Game: Thursday at Nashua, 6:00pm
Next Home Game: Saturday vs. Westfield, 6:05pm