BURLINGTON, VT — Williston’s Ian Parent tossed five innings of no-hit relief with six strikeouts, while Harrison Didawick went 3-for-4 with a two-run single to lead the Vermont Lake Monsters to its 30th Futures League win of the season with a 5-1 victory over the Pittsfield Suns Wednesday night at historic Centennial Field.
Vermont starter Colton Regen (Vanderbilt) went the first four innings, allowing two hits (back-to-back two-out singles in the third inning) with two walks and seven strikeouts. Parent (CVU/Endicott) came on in relief to start the fifth inning and retired 14 of the 17 Sun batters that he faced to earn his fourth win of the season.
Pittsfield had taken a 1-0 lead on a double steal in the third inning after their only hits of the game. Vermont tied th game in the fourth on a Colby Brouillette (BFA/Clarkson) RBI single to right. The game stayed tied until the seventh when the Lake Monsters scored three unearned runs.
After a fielding error to open the seventh, Andrew Kanellis (Vassar) followed with an RBI double to leftcenter to score Connor Bowman (Tufts) with the decisive run. Two outs later, Didiwick (Virginia) laced a single to center for a pair of insurance RBIs. Vermont closed out the scoring with a run in the eighth without the benefit of a base hit.
Colton Regen 4 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB 7 SO
Ian Parent (W) 5 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 SO
Harrison Didawick 3-for-4, 1 R, 2 RBI
* Both Pittsfield base hits came with 2 outs in the 3rd before Regen and Parent combined to retire 18 of final 23 Suns
* Vermont offense had just 5 hits for the game, but also drew 7 walks and had 1 hit batter
* Lake Monsters had 2 hits to score a run in the 4th, a Didawick leadoff single in 6th and 2 hits in 3-run 7th
Beyond The Boxscore
* Vermont (30-12) has won 4 of its last 5 games and are 18 games over .500 for the 4th time (23-5, 24-6, 26-8)
* Lake Monsters continue to lead 2nd-place Nashua (22-18) by 7 games and lead 5th-place Norwich (20-22) by 10 games (top 4 teams make playoffs)
* Vermont is now 60-18 (.769) in FCBL regular-season since July 1, 2021
Next Game: Thursday at Worcester, 6:30pm
Next Home Game: July 21st vs. Westfield, 6:35pm