Starter Seth Zurbruegg (Onondaga), making just his second appearance with the Lake Monsters, held Brockton to two runs on one hit with a walk and five strikeouts over a Vermont season-high seven innings pitched. But the Rox scored three unearned runs in the bottom of the eighth to cut the deficit to 7-5 before the four-run bottom of the ninth capped off with a walkoff RBI double.
Colby Brouillette (BFA/Clarkson) had a two-run double in the first, while pitcher Sean Matson (Harvard) had RBI singles in the fourth and fifth innings in his third offensive start (two at third, one as DH) of the season for Vermont. Harrison Didawick (Virginia) had an RBI single in the fifth and added a solo homer in the eighth, his third and the Lake Monsters FCBL-leading 34th homer of the season.
Vermont ends the regular-season with a FCBL record 44 regular-season wins and just 19 losses (.698 winning percentage). With eight runs scored on Sunday, the Lake Monsters end season with FCBL best 424 runs scored (6.73 per game) and league-low 281 allowed (4.43 per game)
Lake Monsters return home Monday at 6:35pm for Game One of a best-of-three semifinal series vs. Westfield (which also scored four runs in bottom ninth for playoff-clinching walkoff win). Game Two is scheduled for Tuesday at Westfield (30-33), while the third game (if necessary) at Centennial 6:35pm on Wednesday. Second-place New Britain (36-27) will host Nashua (33-29) in the first game of their semifinal series Monday.
Seth Zurbruegger 7 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 5 SO
Sean Matson 2-for-4, 2 RBI
Harrison Didawick 2-for-4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
* Kyle Hoog (Northeastern) went 3-for-5 with 2 runs and a triple
* Cooper Kelly (Kansas) 1-for-3, 1 BB, 2 R and hit safely in 20 of last 25 games (28-for-80, .350)
* Tommy Martin (Yale) was 1-for-5, 1 R, 1 2B and hit safely in 12 of last 13 starts (20-for-50, .400)
Beyond The Boxscore
* Vermont 35-2 when leading after 8 innings this season (losses came in season opener at Westfield and season finale at Brockton)
* Lake Monsters finish 35-9 when scoring 5+ runs, 27-3 when outhitting opponent, 23-4 when hit HR and 6-8 in 1-run games
Next Game: Monday vs. Westfield, 6:35pm
Game 1 of best-of-3 semifinal series