BURLINGTON, VT — After spotting Nashua five runs in the top of the first inning, the Vermont Lake Monsters scored nine unanswered runs to rally for a 9-5 Futures League victory over the Silver Knights at historic Centennial Field and run their winning streak to 13 straight games.
The Silver Knights nine batters to the plate in the first inning to score five runs on four hits off Lake Monsters starter Karter Muck (Kansas). But Ian Parent (CVU/Endicott) recorded the final out of the top of first before tossing four more scoreless innings on two hits, one walk and eight strikeouts. The Williston native retired final eight batters he faced, six by strikeout.
While Parent was shutting down Nashua’s offense, the Lake Monsters offense scored four times in the second and twice in the fourth to take a 6-5 lead. Jackson Kline (Kansas) had an RBI single, Jimmy Evans (Tufts) RBI triple and M.J. Metz (Trinity) RBI single in the four-run second, then took lead in fourth on Tyler Favretto (Crowder) bases loaded walk and Jordan Kelly (Princeton) sacrifice fly.
The Lake Monsters added three insurance runs in the seventh including an Evans (3-for-5) RBI single and Metz (4-for-5) RBI double. Nashua loaded the bases with no outs in the ninth, but back-to-back strikeouts and fly out ended the game with six Vermont relievers combining for 8 1/3 scoreless innings (7 hits, 2 walks, 11 strikeouts).
* Ian Parent (W) 4.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 SO
* Jimmy Evans 3-for-5, 2 R, 3B, 2 RBI
* M.J. Metz 4-for-5, 1 R, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI
* Zach Lewis (Wake Forest), Joe Mascio (St. John’s) and Jacob Buurman (Stevens) each tossed 1 scoreless inning of relief, while Wyatt Cameron (New England College) retired the final two batters of game to earn a save.
* Kline and Evans have both reached base safely in 14 of the 15 games they have played this season (Evans currently 12-game on-base streak)
Beyond The Boxscore
* Vermont (13-3) has now won 13 straight games after dropping the first 3 games of season (had FCBL record 14-game winning streak last season)
* Since July 1st 2021, the Lake Monsters have a 43-9 regular-season record (30-6 to end 2021, 13-3 in 2022)
* Over last 2 games, Vermont bullpen 14 2/3 innings with 1 run allowed, 2 walks and 17 strikeouts
Next Game: Tuesday at Pittsfield, 6:30
Next Home Game: Thursday vs. Norwich, 6:35 pm