BURLINGTON, VT — Jose Lara’s go ahead two-run homer in the top of the fifth led the New Britain Bees to a 5-3 Futures League victory Saturday night at historic Centennial Field and handed the Vermont Lake Monsters its third straight loss to start the 2022 season.
New Britain trailed 3-2 when Lara lined a Zach Lewis (Vanderbilt) 1-2 pitch just inside the left-field foul pole gave the Bees a 4-3 lead. New Britain added an insurance run in the seventh inning, while both teams were held to just three hits apiece for the game.
* Tobey McDonough 3 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO
* George Goldstein 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 HBP, 6 SO
* Only hit over 3 innings off starter Tobey McDonough (Brown) was Tyler Pettorini 2-run double top of 3rd for 2-0 Bees lead
* Vermont tied game 2-2 bottom 3rd as Ezra Caspi (Vassar) doubled and later scored on wild pitch, while Donovan Montgomery (Siena) score on a Jimmy Evans (Tufts) groundout
* Lake Monsters took 3-2 lead bottom 4th as Colby Brouillette (Clarkson) scored on a throwing error
* George Goldstein (Middlebury) hit 1st batter he faced, but then retired final 8 batters in order (first 5 by strikeout)
Beyond The Boxscore
* Vermont had 4 new additions to the roster Saturday, including 3B Logan Keller (Navy) and 1B Jackson Curtis (Husson) who were both in starting lineup. Also added to roster were C Max Gebauer (Franklin Pierce) and RHP Liam Reiner (CVU/St. Lawrence).Next Game: Sunday, May 29th vs. New Britain, 5:05
Face Painting Pre-Game and Kids Runs The Bases/Have A Catch post-game