BURLINGTON, VT — George Cooper hit a three-run homer in the third inning and Vermont added four more runs in the fourth as the Lake Monsters won their first Futures League game of the season with a 7-2 victory over the New Britain Bees Sunday evening at historic Centennial Field.
Cooper’s (Harvard) three-run blast to leftfield was the first home run of the season for Vermont, which sent then sent nine batters to the plate in the fourth to take a 7-0 lead. Donovan Montgomery (BHS/Siena) had a bases loaded infield single, Jimmy Evans (Tufts) was hit by a pitch to force home another run and Logan Keller (Navy) added an RBI groundout.
Both New Britain runs came on a Jose Lara two-run homer in the top of the sixth inning off Vermont reliever Chase Carey (Colchester/NE College), tossed two innings to pick up the victory. Liam Reiner (CVU/St. Lawrence) allowed three hits with one walk and three strikeouts over the final three innings to earn the save for Vermont (1-3).
* Silas Reed 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 SO
* George Cooper 2-for-5, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI
* Silas Reed (Tufts) allowed just 3 baserunners over his 4 innings, 2-out singles in 1st and 2nd along with 1-out walk in 3rd.
* Chase Carey allowed 3 hits and a walk in his 2 innings, but got out of further trouble with 6-4-3 double plays in the 5th and 6th innings.
* Liam Reiner, who played at CVU 2015-18, made his Lake Monsters debut with a pair of strikeouts in the top of the 7th and picked up Vermont’s 1st save of the season, while Carey (Colchester HS 2017-19) earned 1st Monsters win.
* Andrew Kanellis (Vassar) and Jackson Kline (Kansas) both scored twice
Beyond The Boxscore
* Vermont is now 10-1 all-time vs. New Britain, having gone 9-0 vs. the Bees last season
Next Game: Monday, May 30th vs. Brockton, 7:05