Vermont (43-18), which broke its own FCBL record of 42 wins set last season, scored six runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to bust open a two-run lead and score 10+ runs for the 14th time this summer. Dante Pozzi (Catholic) started the rally with a two-run homer in his second Lake Monsters game to stretch the lead to 6-2.
Lake Monsters trailed 2-1 in the top of the second when Nick Berger (Rollins) came out of the bullpen and worked out of a bases loaded, no-out jam with a fly out and pair of strikeouts. Berger finished four innings of scoreless relief on one hit with a walk and five strikeouts to earn the victory.
Nick Berger (W) 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 SO
Connor Bowman 2-for-3, 1 BB, 3 R, 1 RBI
Jimmy Evans 3-for-4, 2 RBI
* After the Pozzi 2-run homer in the eighth, Vermont scored 4 more times on Colby Brouilette (BFA/Clarkson) RBI single, Tyler Favretto (Crowder) two-run single and Harrison Didawick (Virginia) RBI fielder’s choice
* Tommy Martin (Yale) was 2-for-5 with two runs and has now hit safely in each of his last 11 starts (19-for-42)
* Lucky Perrotto (Catholic) 3 walks and 3 strikeouts in 2 hitless innings of relief in his Vermont debut
Beyond The Boxscore
* Vermont (43-18) is 25 games over .500 for 1st time in frachise history (24 over 3 other times this season)
* Lake Monsters are now 27-7 at Centennial and averaging 7.53 runs per game with 1 home contest remaining in regular-season
* Pozzi home run was the 32nd of the season for Vermont, tying the 32 homers hit in 66 last season by the Lake Monsters
Next Home Game: Saturday vs. Brockton, 6:05pm
Regular-Season home finale and Post-Game Fireworks