Vermont had rallied from a 9-0 deficit through 5 1/2 innings Saturday night to beat the Bravehearts 13-10 and found themselves trailing again by nine runs after 5 1/2 innings Sunday, but this time Worcester was able to close out the win by holding the Lake Monsters to single runs in bottom of sixth and eighth innings.
Worcester scored its five first-inning runs on six hits, including both a two-run triple and two-run homer. After Vermont plated single runs in the first and third innings, the Bravehearts added two runs in fourth, three in fifth and another in the sixth for the 11-2 lead.
Lake Monsters leadoff hitter Tommy Hawke (Wake Forest) went 3-for-5 followed by Cam Conley’s (Pepperdine) 2-for-5 as Vermont’s 1-2 hitters combined for five of the team’s seven hits for the game.
Tommy Hawke 3-for-5, 2 R, 2B
Cam Conley 2-for-5, 1 RBI
Tanner Wolpert 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
* Hawke doubled and scored on a Conley RBI single bottom 1st, then singled and later scored on a Brian Schuab (Trinity) RBI groundout in the third
* Schaub doubled leading off the 6th and scored on a sac fly from Connor Bowman (Tufts), who reached 2nd base on throwing error in the eighth and scored on a wild pitch
* Tanner Wolpert (Williston/Rice HS) tossed a 1-2-3 top of the 9th inning with a pair of flyouts and a strikeout
Beyond The Boxscore
* Despite loss, Vermont (37-15) has won 11 of their last 15 games and have franchise-best record after 52 games (32-20 in 1996 NYPL Championship season
* Just the 7th loss in 30 games for the Lake Monsters at Centennial Field this season
* Vermont’s magic # to clinch FCBL regular-season title is 5 (any combination of Vermont wins and/or Nashua losses adding up to 5 clinces first)